Grandma’s Victoria sponge.
Our version of a classic
Difficulty 2 / 5 (easy 0-5 hard)
- 200g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200g sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g raspberries and strawberries – other berries optional
- 6tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
- 250ml double cream
- Icing sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180C. Grease 2x20cm circular tins with soft butter and sprinkle with flour and then line with parchment paper. Soften the butter in a large bowl and then combine the sugar, mix thoroughly until the mix is pale (light yellow, almost white).
2. Slowly add the eggs one by one, with sprinkles of flour bit by bit until the eggs and flour are combined into the mix.
3. Divide the mix evenly into the two tins and bake for 15-20 minutes until you can insert a knife which comes out clean.
4. Completely cool on a wiring rack.
5. Whisk the cream adding in vanilla extract and icing sugar to taste.
6. Spread the jam onto one cake and top with chosen fruit and half of the cream mix then put the other cake on top (like a sandwich). Then spread the remaining cream on the top of the cake and add the remaining fruit.
Become a Love Derby Partner and take advantage of our 300,000 page views per year and over 30,000 followers on social media.Join Us
Don't let the fun stop here. Find more fun things to do and food & drink in Derby.See Recipes
Join the What's on in Derby mailing list
For exciting weekly what's on and Derby news.